Sunday, November 27, 2016

Holidays and Death


We interrupt this season of jolliness to bring you the announcement that life is so unfair.

In my process of presenting a work-related reference, I pulled up in my Yahoo Contacts a former boss in Memphis with whom I have maintained a relationship with for twelve years.  Thinking I had her phone number in my files (my preferred method of communication is an e-mail, text or DM), all I found was her business e-mail address.  So through the help of Google, I typed in her name and company.  The first result was her LinkedIn account, but my eyes quickly caught the third Google link that shook me to the core; her obituary notice.

Along with the death of Prince, this makes the second time this year I can't speak, write or cry.  At age 47, cancer took her away from two daughters, a fiance and a successful career  in property management.  She was a mentor to me, and our last e-mail correspondence was in May.  She never mentioned being sick.  But maybe she wasn't then; I'll never know.  Regardless, I regret I never got the chance to tell her that she was the reason I embraced the industry.

This tragic discovery came just hours after I told my husband that the only thing I want for Christmas is a divorce. Yeah I said it, and felt nothing but relief in doing so.  Finding out my mentor had passed was devastating; my marriage, on the other hand, has been on life support for quite some time.

On my Twitter timeline today was the quote, "Forget the mistake. Remember the lesson".  My lesson from this weekend of mourning the death of a marriage and phenomenal woman is to never delay speaking what is on your heart. 

So forgive me if I don't post awesome sales or holiday footwear.  There is more to life than shoes.  




No comments:

Post a Comment