Thursday, April 21, 2011

TWHS Reviews Alice's Tea Cup Cookbook


A day without tea is like a day without sunshine...

Add to the fact that Easter is here, and you've got a recipe for a delightful experience. Even more when sister owners Lauren and Haley Fox of Alice’s Tea Cup in Manhattan have compiled the recipes from their tea room into a cookbook. Divine for those of us who don't have access to experience their three NYC locales.

When the gracious publishers of Alice's Tea Cup: Delectable Recipes for Scones, Cakes, Sandwiches, and More from New York's Most Whimsical Tea Spot sent me a copy for review, I dove into the pages of recipes from their full-service restaurant that includes confectionery delights. It is truly my cup of tea!

Speaking of tea, before this cookbook, I would have never thought of using loose tea as a spice for baking. So that gem of a baking tip alone makes the cookbook unique in my collection.

Between the sandwiches, soups (Green Goddess? Yes please!) salads and sweets, it's definitely a go-to source for planning a spring brunch or shower. Berry Bunch Mar-tea-ni, anyone? I decided to try the first recipe that entailed my love for all things ginger: Ginger-Molasses Cookies.


With ingredients that consisted of basic staples from the pantry, I whipped up the workable dough and scooped it into 2-inch cookies on the baking sheet with my ice cream scoop


A short 15 minutes later, I prepared my daily cup of tea as the first batch of cookies cooled for 15 minutes. Oh, how the aroma of ginger put me in a happy mode!



The first bite was, well, surprisingly bland. The taste of ginger was prominent, but there seemed to be a missing element that would have taken the cookie from good to OMG. I immediately scanned the ingredients to see if I had forgotten something. Nope; sugar, unsalted butter, baking soda, flour, DARK brown sugar, molasses, cinnamon, ground cloves, ginger, kosher salt, egg...

Not to mention my cookies did not develop the pretty flaws of cracks. Simply put, they looked a little underdressed. So the second batch I decided to dress up by sprinkling them with organic sugar. They came out glittered up, but still underwhelming in taste. My honey confirmed it after coming in after his Boy's Night Out by stating, "They're not bad; but not great".

Oh well; one recipe tried, many more to try. The Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies were hinted as the next one to bake, and I have my eye on the Queen of Hearts Linzer Card Cookies. Just like a writer writes what she knows, it's only fitting that I bake from the heart for the one who holds my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment