Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The Well-Heeled Sips Barefoot


There are several areas for which I own my snobbiness: zip codes, food - and of course - shoes. But a champagne snob I am not; I'm not above uncorking a bottle that costs far less than a spa visit. So when the gracious folks at Barefoot Wines shipped me a bottle of their Brut Cuvée for review, I was pleasantly surprised with the bubbly whose price tag is under $10.00.

From a portfolio of 16 wines created by Jennifer Wall, Barefoot is the most awarded California wine brand under $15.00, and the Brut Cuvée does not disappoint. Immediately upon popping the cork, I was greeted with the aroma of Chardonnay and fruit-filled notes of green apples, kiwi, peach and jasmine. And unlike other dry Bruts I have tried, the taste was light and refreshing.

So much so that I picked up another bottle for my Valentine's Day Champagne Cupcakes. Not only did I infuse it into the cake batter, but I also added it to the frosting. Fabuleux! I will continue to make my frosting with a l'il bubbly, namely Barefoot Brut Cuvée (the use of high-priced splits of competing sparkling wines or champagnes wouldn't work, as it doesn't fulfill the recipe's required 1 1/2 cups).



Now I realize what I wasn't getting from bakery-bought cupcakes. One local grocery chain's attempt at cupcakes should be ashamed of themselves, as their frosting had the weight of paste and was void of taste.



Whether it's for cooking, sipping or toasting, Barefoot Bubbly Brut Cuvée is a poshly frugal way to kick up your heels and enjoy some bubbly.

No comments:

Post a Comment